ODROID-XU Lite - Third Party Review
The ODROID-XU lite board, plastic casing, active cooler, and 5V/4A power supply are all included in the base kit. Installing the operating system requires an extra MicroSD card or an eMMC module. According to the XU4, when it comes to current Single Board Computers, it operates more like a typical personal computer than a gimmick like the Raspberry Pi. More processing power, double the RAM, and, in my opinion, a board that is at least twice as powerful as the previous generation.
More powerful, more energy-efficient technology and smaller physical size represent the next generation of computing devices. With open source support, the board can run a variety of Linux distributions, including Ubuntu and the Android 4.2 operating system. The ODROID-XU lite provides users with fast data transfer speeds using an e-MMC 4.5 storage device and USB 3.0 interface, becoming increasingly essential to support advanced processing power on ARM devices. It permits users to completely experience an advancement in computing, including 3D game experience, web browsing and faster booting. The source code for the platform (u-boot, kernel, and Android) and documentation will be made available on the ODROID official forums.
Who should be interested in the board
The widespread use of Single Board Computers and the consequent maturing of its ecosystem have made setting up a home server a reasonably simple task. Aside from video decoding, the ODroid-XU lite may be the right choice for you if you search for a compact, high-speed four-core ARM system that can quickly run Fedora or other Linux distributions. When it comes to OpenSSL performance, the ODroid-XU has a significant advantage, and it also boasts the most extraordinary Octane performance of any ARM system in the series.
What sets the board apart?
The ODroid consumes around 2 watts while idle on a 1080p desktop in terms of power consumption. The fan noise and lack of support for hardware-accelerated video playback were the two most significant drawbacks I noticed with the ODroid-XU lite. The CPU itself should be capable of decoding and displaying information in up to 720p resolution. The ODroid-XU lite has eight CPU cores that are configured in a big.LITTLE configuration, with four of the cores being active at any given moment. The Single Board Computer is equipped with 2GB of RAM, two USB 3.0 ports, a micro HDMI connector that can produce 1080p video, a microSD slot, and the option to connect up to 64GB eMMC flash memory to the system.
- The PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU from Imagination is included in the Exynos5 Octa processor found within the ODRIOD-XU light board. Using OpenGL ES 2.0 and the OpenCL EP stack, developers can now create appealing apps that are unique and attractive to the user.
- The OpenCL EP stack and the OpenGL ES 2.0 APIs enable developers to improve visual effects in games, user interfaces, and augmented reality applications.
- The Exynos5 Octa, equipped with an unparalleled eight-core ARM big.LITTLE architecture is based on the Cortex-A15TM CPU, which is designed to handle multitasking capabilities efficiently.
- Samsung’s Exynos5 Octa mobile application processor is the world’s first to apply the revolutionary big.LITTLE idea of processing architecture, which is based on the Cortex-A15TM CPU and designed to maximize the use of each core. It is made possible by the Exynos5 Octa’s eight cores, which include four powerful Cortex-A15TM cores for intensive processing tasks and four Cortex-A7TM quad cores for lighter workloads. The Exynos5 Octa allows mobile devices to achieve maximum performance by utilizing all eight cores (four potent Cortex-A15TM cores for processing-intensive assignments and two Cortex-A7 quad cores for smaller workloads). Compared to only employing Cortex-A15TMcores, this strategy can save up to 70% on energy consumption when executing a wide variety of activities.
- Designed to maximize power efficiency by reducing static current leakage, the Exynos5 Octa is created utilizing Samsung’s newest 28-nanometer (nm) HKMG (High-k Metal Gate) low-power technology and power-saving architecture. It increases the overall power efficiency of the CPU; it outperforms the previous generation of Exynos processors, which were incredibly successful and popular. It also consumes 20 percent less power than the prior generation CPUs.
What should users know?
Odroid is a portable game console that runs on the Android OS. The developer edition is designed for individuals interested in creating programs, games, or other content for Odroid users. The Odroid device comes with a debugging board, source codes, and schematics to assist developers in the development process.
The only thing that distinguishes it from the original ODROID-XU is the highest clock speed of the A15 cores. The XU Lite features a 1.4GHz processor, whereas the original XU has a 1.6GHz processor. The rest of the features are exactly the same. When combined, these features enable developers to create innovative and appealing mobile apps that take advantage of the full capability of Imagination’s PowerVR SGX544 graphics processing unit (GPU). On paper, the performance of the Odroid XU lite is equivalent to that of the Raspberry Pi 4. Thanks to blisteringly fast data transfer speeds made possible by the eMMC module, USB 3.0, and Gigabit Ethernet interface, users will be able to boot up faster, browse the web more quickly, and even play games faster. The features make it easier for the device to manage Web surfing and high-definition video and game apps, among other things. Software may get uploaded through the Android Market or SlideME, an alternative to the Android Market.
SBCs from Hardkernel have been used to build various multi-purpose projects, including a home theater PC that runs Kodi. The Odroid XU lite delivers consistent performance across many emulation systems, including the most demanding ones. It could be used for cryptocurrency mining. The Odroid XU4 bitcoin mining device, like the Raspberry Pi, will not generate much money, but it will provide a quick and simple learning experience. The Odroid XU lite is a fantastic maker board that can be utilized for numerous projects.